Friday, November 20, 2009

I went explorin'

So I went out into my Salt Lake City fiber world and explored a couple more yarn shops.

The first one I went to was Pipers in Sugarhouse. Don't let the sign out front fool you. Piper's is a quilting, sewing, and yarn shop so when you poke your nose inside you'll see racks of fabric with basics of beautiful yarn. As you would expect with a yarn shop that caters to other fiber arts, their selection isn't stellar but the prices are fair and they have a good number of yarns that are great to work with. What made me happy though, was the girls who work at Pipers crochet. They know their stuff. I saw some Clover cushioned hooks and asked how they liked them and the woman running the show pointed me toward some better hooks she herself had tried. Nothing makes the heart of a crocheter warm more that knowing they're well taken care of. Plus the shop if very unique, very cute, and in a very artsy neighborhood in Sugarhouse.

Next I went to a shop who's name you can't help but love. Blazing Needles, on 1100 E. in Salt Lake City. This shop is on the expensive side, with most of their yarn above the $12 mark. But they make up for the cost with the environment they stitch in. You walk into the remodeled house to find shelves of yarn. They sell Cascade, Manos, Noro, Sleeping Dragon and a gazillion others. They have Caffe Ibis coffee brewing in the corner, big windows that open up to the back yard and a huge table for working around. Perhaps best of all though, is the fireplace right next to the work table. It crackles along as you stitch lending a warm light and just the right feeling to the room.

I would put a pup tent in this shop and live there forever. There are some drawbacks. While it is crochet friendly (they won't tease us) they don't do much in the way of teaching and they sell 0 crochet hooks. It is very expensive so you'll have to save your paychecks for this place. But they have a couple days a week dedicated to open knitting a bunch of ladies come in to talk about their stitches which is great and I really respect. They're website it amazing too, check it out.

Anywho, no yarn buying for me for awhile yet. My mom just sent me 12 balls of yarn so I'm set for now. Can't blame a girl for lookin' though right?

Keep on stitchin'!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails