Thursday, October 29, 2009

Manos del Uruguay Hat

So as you well know, I bought some Manos del Uruguay yarn while I was in Boston. When I got back to Utah, I knew I had to do something with it. Well I think I did something pretty cool. Using the Single Spike Crochet that I found in Interweave I made this hat.

I made the pattern up, so I can put it up here on this blog. Its super simple once you get the stitch down.

The single spike crochet (ssc) is basic, once you have your foundation chain done, insert hook in next stitch, 1 row down, yarn over, pull loop to height of working row, yarn over and draw through both loops on the hook. This creates the slight bobble effect throughout the hat.

The other stitches I used are:

SC: Single Crochet

Sc2tog: Single crochet together. Insert hook into st, wrap yarn once (two loops on hook), insert into next stitch, wrap yarn once (3 loops on hook) pull hook through all three loops.

So here's the pattern:

*Do not join! Just keep working in the round, marking the first stitch with a marker*

Rd 1: Chain 61 (or however many it takes to fit your head, but it must be an odd number to create the effect we want).

Rd 2: sc in each st (61)

Rd 3- sc in first st, spike stitch in sc one row below the next stitch (this is the spike single crochet), continue this until the end of the row.

Rd 4 - spike stitch in sc one row below first stitch, sc in next stitch - continue this until the end of the row

Rd 5-17 - repeat rds 3 and 4.

(add rows if needed for height after row 17, just continue using rds 3 and 4)

Begin Decrease!

Rd 18: sc 1, sc2tog, sc in each of the next 58 st (60)

Rd 19: sc 8, sc2tog (6 times) - 54

Rd 20: sc 7, sc2tog (6 times) - 48

Rd 21: sc 6, sc2tog (6 times) - 42

Rd 22: sc 5, sc2tog (6 times) - 36

Rd 23: sc 4, sc2tog (6 times) - 30

Rd 24: sc 3, sc2tog (6 times) - 24

Rd 25: sc 2 sc2tog (6 times) - 18

Rd 26: sc 1 sc2tog (6 times) - 12

Rd 27: sc2tog (6 times) - 6

Fasten off, leaving 1.5 inches to sew up top hole.

If you need a brim like I did, join yarn on the bottom, anywhere will work.

Rd 1: Sc in each st (61)

Rd 2: Sc in each st (61)

Rd 3: Sc in the back loop only of each st (61)

Fast off and weave in loose ties.


If you have any questions, or if its not working for you, let me know and I'll try and clear it up for ya.



9 comments:

  1. Hey, I found an new source for yarn on the web:
    www.yarn.com
    It's called "Webs" and they're based in MA. Good deals on their closeout yarn. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah! I like your blog. Eric is sick and I am teaching myself to crochet. I just was doodling... or would that be crochoodling?, and made a cool... hmmm. 4 row thingy. But I made a pattern! And I thought to myself, "damn self!! You can create anything!" And then I see your very cool hat that you just created! Or should I say crochoodled. I love the yarns you used! And your fancy dancy afgan will be awesome... if you don't get bored. I get bored too. Biggest problem I have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this hat! Am I reading it correctly in that you do NOT join the beginning chain 61??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veej, join the ch 61, but from then on, just keep crocheting, don't join any rows afterword.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam: I used a K hook (6.5 mm) but you should use whatever hook to achieve the right size around your noggin. I would chain 61 and join and then see if its too tight/loose around your head. Then change the hook accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah

    Please help. I am 11 rows into this pattern and my hat is twisted. I'm fairly certain I will have to start over, but hoping you will tell me otherwise. I'm quite new to crochet, so your help is a blessing. I LOVE this pattern.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cindy!

    Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you. I've been sick, and then Thanksgiving came and went.

    I hate to say that you'll have to start over. Anytime you twist the first row, you have to rip the whole thing out and start over. I know its frustrating, but otherwise the hat will hurt you head.

    Sorry!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. To avoid twisting the chain row, chain ten (10) stitches, pull up the working chain on the hook and remove the hook. Slip the first (1st) stitch back on the hook and then the working chain, adjusting the size again. Continue work until you have all the chains required. The chain will not twist done in this manner.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails