Saturday, October 24, 2009

Drumroll Please!

Well I just got back to good ol' Salt Lake City after spending two weeks back east in the Boston area.

After dragging poor Peter (I don't think he realized that when he asked me to marry him, he knew I'd be taking his poor ass to yarn stores on every vacation...) to a yarn store in every town we went to, I've concluded that the yarns shops over there are SWEET!

First shop we went into was The Knitting Studio in Montpelier, VT. Not only did this shop have a huge selection of yarn (and relatively cheap, I might add)
they had a really cool environment. I bought a skein of
Cascade to make Pete a hat and took off. But then I had to return the next day because I needed more to finish off my project.

Let me warn you now, that I'm about to rant. When I went back in to get
my 2nd skein (of Berocco, just so you know) I showed them the hat (which was cabled and ribbed) so they could get some perspective. At this point, they started to rave about how beautiful it was, which was awesome... then I said it was crochet, and I swear to god I heard their jaws hit the floor. I think, these women, who were knitters, thought that the only thing a crocheter can make is a grannie square or a hunk of lace. Sorry ladies, but we can cable too! But I put that aside, smiled and took my beautiful yarn. But seriously?! Ugh. I know you think that just cuz I crochet, I also pick my nose with my hooks and scratch my ass with 'em too, but give me some respect...

Next! We went to A Loom with a View in Newburyport, MA. This place was awesome too. Not as big of a selection, and their prices were a bit steeper, but the vibe was much more crochet friendly. I had to make a cousin a hat, so I was on a mission for some soft, yellow yarn. I found Lambs Pride prairie golden rod, extra bulky. Really warm, really easy to work with. I've never worked with bulky yarn before but I really liked this stuff. I put a brim of Noro and it was gorgeous.

The last yarn store we went to was Windsor Button, in the heart of downtown Boston. Now, if you're in Boston and have like... 5 hours to waste... this is the place to go. Every kind of yarn
, for really cheap. Good god. I would live there if given the chance. I bought two skeins of Manos Del Uruguay. This is my new favorite yarn. Go find a skein and touch it. TOUCH IT!

I also bought a couple skeins of Noro for Pete (he get a lot of hats...). Noro is great because it feels great and it patterns beautifully all by itself.


So all in all my trip to Massachusetts was awesome. The yarn shops were amazing, and I can't wait to get back there and crochet some more.

Now back to my hookin'... can't let my hooks go cold for too long!

1 comment:

  1. I love you, dear crocheting daughter, but give a lefty knitter a nod of respect, too! Who taught you to hook? Me, of course! And I don't believe I've ever been condescending about your preferred method of needllework. Granted, there are lots of snooty knitters. You just keep showin' them you're awesome work and they may have to swallow their pride!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails