Thursday, December 17, 2009

Ho Ho Ho.

My Yarn Wishlist:

Oh how I love Christmas, and... yarn. God I love yarn. So here's my top 5 list of expensive yarns to use. I'll make a 2 buck chuck version next.

1. Manos Del Uruguay: This gorgeous yarn is so fun to work with. It moves with your hook, and it works up in the most interesting ways. Because its hand spun and hand dyed, no two skeins are the same, and it thickens and thins as you use it. Its never going to work up the same and no two projects will ever be the same. What's better though is who the company supports. The company is owned and operated by the women who spin and dye the yarns. They are a co-op that creates and sells the yarn made by hard working women for a fair price and its awesome.


2. Berroco: This yarn is amazing. Nuff said. But then you take into account how many different kinds of yarn this company puts out and you'll be stunned. From basic cotton to merino wool and all the way down to a linen blend that looks and feels like a pair of well worn jeans. This company has it all. Plus, the great thing about Berroco is you can try all their yarns and not go completely broke in the process. Always a plus.

3. Cascade: Cascade is a yarn unto itself. I think what I like the best about Cascade's skeins is that you get SO much for your money. And they don't skimp on the quality so you're paying for 2 buck chuck and you're getting 200 yards of high quality, beautiful yarn in every color imaginable.

4. Rowan: Rowan is a unique brand in my heart. They're yarn is gorgeous, and they're patterns are stunning but they are so expensive that I have a really hard time buying the stuff. They also seem a bit knit-centric with very little in the way of crochet patterns in all of their publications. But when this company puts out a magazine or a book its worth picking up just to look inside. They're stuff is to die for. I would die to be able to make the stuff they have and with their yarn. DIE I say.

5. Noro: This is probably my boyfriend's favorite yarn. And I have to say that its a fantastic yarn to work with. Its really very pricey, but the self striping effect added on top of the very unique color choices (I probably wouldn't choose to put any of the colors together that they do, yet somehow it always works when I buy their yarn). Plus you can felt it, or leave it be and always have an insane end product that will make even a knitter happy with your work.


So that's my list of the top 5 expensive yarns. Next up... the cheap ones! Yes!

Keep on hookin' my fine hookers.


All photos are from the website of the yarn producers. Click the links for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails