Saturday, January 9, 2010

Moorish Mosaic Pillow


So, way back in October I said that I was going to work on the Moorish Mosaic Afghan from Interweave Crochet.

Well, true to my word, I got bored. And I stopped working on the blanket. But I did have a lot of motifs and I really didn't know what to do with them. Well then I took a look around my living room and I saw my ugly, red, Ikea pillows and then BAM! I knew what to do.

Thus: The Moorish Mosaic Pillow! I ADORE this pillow. Its pleasantly hippie but not overwhelming and its so nice to put my head on.

When I was a little girl, my mom had these amazing pillows that one of her relatives
before my time. I can't remember if it was my great aunt or my grandma but either way, the woman who made these pillows had skills. They were grannie squares, surrounded by black and then sewn together with a buttery soft black fabric on the back. I spent hours running my hands over these squares and fell asleep with my head resting on the work of my fore-mothers.

I want this pillow and the 2nd one that I intend on finishing, to pass down through my (future) girls and their daughters and beyond.

And that why I love yarn and doing what I do.

1 comment:

  1. Do you happen to have a pattern for these squares that you can share? I would love to make these as well!!
    thanks!
    jana

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails